One of my favourite Riojas is La Montesa Crianza. This time I tested the 2011. It’s interesting to note the slightly different blend of this year in comparison with the 2010 (75% Garnacha, 20% Tempranillo, 5% Mazuelo). A wine by Alvaro Palacios. Read more about Alvaro Palacios here.
Three curiosities about this wine, besides being produced by Alvaro Palacios, are: its Grenache content; its subzone (Rioja Baja) and from grapes grown in their own estate.
- Winery: Bodegas Palacios Remondo founded by José Palacios Remondo in 1945 and located in Alfaro, La Rioja (Spain)
- Winemaker: Alvaro Palacios
- Phone: +34 941 18 02 07
- Website: N/A.
- Brand: La Montesa, named after the vineyard located on the northeastern slope of Monte Yerga in eastern Rioja.
- Type: Red Crianza
- DO: Denominacion de Origen Cualificada Rioja Subzone: Rioja Baja.
- Type: Tinto crianza, 14%.
- Grape Variety: 70% Garnacha (Grenache), 25% Tempranillo and 5% Mazuelo. All the grapes varieties are grown in their own vineyard. 12 Months in French and American oak barrels.
- Vineyard: La Montesa, property of Bodegas Palacios Remondo.
- Price: It can be found in Madrid at around €12.50
- My wine rating: 9.5/10