- Winery: Bodegas Los Aljibes. Chinchilla de Montearagón (Albacete, España)
- Phone: +34 91 884 34 72
- Winemaker: Pedro Sarrión
- Website: www.fincalosaljibes.com
- Brand: Aljibes 2010
- DO: Vinos de la Tierra de Castilla.
- Type: Red, 14%. Ageing: 12 months in American and French oak barrels. Malolactic fermentation in French oak vats of 10.000 litres.
- Grape Variety: Merlot (37,5%), Cabernet Sauvignon (55%) and Cabernet Franc (7,5%)
- Vineyard: Finca Los Aljibes vineyards.
- Price: 7.79 € at the website.
- My wine rating: 9.0/10
Los Aljibes winery is part of the family owned Los Aljibes estate, located in Chinchillla de Montearagón in the wine appellation of Vinos de la Tierra de Castilla. The Aljibes estate covers nearly 2,000 acres of which 620 acres are dedicated to vineyards, 500 acres of low forest, 125 acres of Olive groves & the rest dedicated to the cultivation of grains. The estate is also a unique setting for the Yeguada, a purebred Spanish stud farm.
Bodega Los Aljibes lies at 3,200 feet in elevation with a continental climate, rigorous & arid. The combination of these extreme conditions & high altitude favour a long maturation process & low yields, gracing the wines born in the region with great roundness & quality. The estate’s bedrock is shallow, composed mainly of limestone & contains little organic material. Los Aljibes cultivates the traditional Spanish varieties of Tempranillo, Garnacha & Verdejo as well as international varieties of Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon, Cabernet Franc, Merlot, Petit Verdot, Sauvignon Blanc & Chardonnay.