- Winery: Bodegas Raimat. Ctra. Lleida s/n, Raimat, 25111 – Lleida (Codorniu Group)
- Phone: +34 973 724 000
- Winemaker: Mark Nairn
- Website: www.raimat.es/en/default.htm
- Brand: Abadía 2013
- DO: Costers del Segre
- Type: Crianza Red Wine 13,5%
- Grape Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon and Tempranillo.
- Vineyards: Raimat makes all its wines with grapes from its own estate..
- Soil Type: Mainly calcareous topped with sand.
- Bottle Size: 75.0 cl.
- Price: € 6.57 at Bodega Santa Cecilia
- My wine rating: 86/100 (a wine of fair or acceptable quality) NEW!
On their oenologist’s own recommendation, decanting this wine is not considered necessary.
In 1914 Manuel Raventós embarked upon one of his greatest works: Raimat (el Segrià). To bring to fruition this eagerly awaited project, he had to overcome difficulties associated with the relative lack of productivity and fertility of the local area. The original winery was built in 1918 by the Art Nouveau architect Rubio i Bellver. The winery was later extended, in 1988, under the guidance of Domingo Triay, who gave it its definitive appearance.Raimat currently owns 2,245 hectares of vineyards, which cover all of the needs of the winery. It is one of the world’s most innovative research centres in the fields of viticulture and enology. The methods and techniques applied are the product of years of experimentation and research, while the whole grape-growing and wine-making process is supervised by the winery’s own team of enologists. The total productive surface area of the vineyard is about 30,000 m2 and its productive capacity is around 10 million litres. At present, annual production tends to reach about 5.5 million bottles of wine and 1.5 million bottles of sparkling wine. The main red wine producing varieties used on the estate are Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot and the classic Tempranillo, whereas the main varieties grown for producing white and sparkling wines are Chardonnay, Albariño, Parellada, Xarel·lo and Macabeo. The most famous wines produced by Raimat include its monovarietal Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah and Chardonnay wines and of course the renowned Raimat Abadía.