- Winery: Bodega Sierra Norte. Polígono Industrial El Romeral. c/ del Transporte C2, 46340 Requena – Valencia. The winery was founded in 1999 in Requena by two local families with a long tradition in grape growing and winemaking.
- Phone: +34 962 323 099
- Winemaker: Manolo Olmo
- Website: www.bodegasierranorte.com
- Brand: Pasión de Bobal
- DO: Utiel-Requena
- Type: Young Red Wine aged 6 to 8 months in brand new French oak barrels
- Alcohol: 13.5 %
- Grape Variety: Bobal 100%.
- Vineyards: This wine is made out of Bobal grapes from more than 60-year-old vines, which are planted at 3,000 feet above sea level in the interior of the province of Valencia, Utiel-Requena region. The climate is continental but influenced by the Mediterranean. At the end of October, a manual harvest using small cases was followed by a selection of bunches at the reception in the winery. Long and very careful maceration at low temperature preceded the fermentation, also started at low temperature. The wine then went through malolactic fermentation in new French oak barrels and was aged in barrel for six to eight months.
- Soil Type: Limestone
- Bottle Size: 75.0 cl.
- Price: € 8.25 at a small wine shop in Madrid
- My wine rating: 90/100 (a wine of very good to excellent quality) NEW!
This wine is the result of a great PASION on our indigenous grape variety BOBAL, growing in extreme continental conditions, with exceptional high potential and unique personality. Malolactic fermentation and then further stay in French-oak barrels for eight months.
Tasting notes: It is a dark-cherry coloured red wine, very intense in colour, and with purple hints. In the nose, it shows very clean aromas of red and black fruits, strawberries, raspberries, cassis, very well balanced with creamy and pleasant toasted notes from the barrel. It also shows a slightly spicy touch of liquorice. In the mouth, it is rich, fruity with round and ripe tannins. It has a good acidity, and shows nice notes of vanilla, smoke and coffee. A powerful wine but with a very elegant balance. (Source: Bodega Sierra Norte).
“La Bobal Revisited”: The Bobal grape is presented to the British market