I’ve become increasingly fond of the Bierzo red wines (Mencía varietal) and have uncorked recently this Pago de Valdoneje Viñas Viejas 2013, the top wine of the winery. Unfortunately, there is very little reference to this wine in the winery website or in any other place online and, since it was given to me as a present, I don’t even know the price or where can be purchased. The information available on the Internet relates only to the 2011 vintage, has a different label and the type of bottle has also been changed. The price of the 2011 is (was) around €12.95. I’m afraid it was a very limited production.
- Winery: Vinos Valltuille S.L. Calle de la Fragua, s/n. 45530 Valtuille de Abajo, León, España
- Phone: + 34 987 562 165
- Winemaker: Marcos Garcia Advisor: Raúl Perez
- Website: www.vinosvaltuille.com
- Brand: Pago de Valdoneje Viñas Viejas
- DO: Bierzo.
- Type: Red Crianza Wine aged 11 months in French oak barrels and 9 months in the bottle, before their final departure to the market
- Vintage: 2013
- Alcohol: 14 %
- Grape Variety: 100% Mencía.
- Vineyards: Located on slopes facing south at a height of 700 m above sea level. The grapes for this wine come from 90 year old vines.
- Soil Type: Clay with extensive presence of sand
- Bottle Size: 75.0 cl.
- Price: It was a present and I’ve not been able to find any reference online.
- My wine rating: 94/100 (A wine of outstanding or superior quality) NEW!
An outstanding wine from the Bierzo region 100% Mencía.
Other Pago de Valdoneje wines (easier to find) are: