I’ve been long looking for a Ribera del Duero that could meet my quality and price requirements. As regular readers of this blog know, as a general rule, I try to comment wines below a €12.00 price tag. Finally I have found this amazing wine, at an affordable price that can very well compete with more expensive wines.
- Winery: Bodegas Villacreces (Grupo Artevino) Carretera Valladolid-Soria, km.322, 47350 Quintanilla de Onésimo, Valladolid. The estate covers a total expanse of 110 hectares, some 64 of which are vineyards. Positioned on a meander of the river Duero, the vineyard is divided into 15 plots that are farmed separately. The plots contain Tinto Fino (Tempranillo), Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapevines interspersed with century-old pine trees of huge environmental value.
- Phone: + 34 983 680 437
- Winemaker: Lluis Laso
- Website: www.villacreces.com
- Brand: Pruno Production: 275.000 bottles of 75 cl.
- DO: Ribera del Duero
- Type: Red wine aged 12 months in 3-year-old French barrels (Darnajou and Taransaud)
- Vintage: 2013
- Alcohol: 14 %
- Grape Variety: 90% Tinto Fino and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon
- Vineyards: It comes from 64 hectares of their own vineyards located in the state of Finca Villacreces planted around 1980 at 710 meters above sea level and with a north-south orientation.
- Soil Type: Loamy-sandy soil.
- Bottle Size: 75.0 cl.
- Price: Available at €9.90 in different wine stores.
- My wine rating: 93/100 (A wine of outstanding or superior quality) NEW!
“I’ve loved this wine in the past and the 2013, a blend of 90% Tempranillo and 10% Cabernet Sauvignon aged 12 months in French oak, is stunning, simply over-delivering in so many different ways. This wine, which offers up copious quantities, of blueberry, black raspberry and black currant fruit, licorice, graphite and meaty notes, offers fabulous aromatics, medium to full-bodied mouthfeel, beautiful, pure texture and a long, heady finish with subtle oak. What’s amazing is the French oak is all two-year-old, super-expensive Darnajou barrels. For $20 this is another amazing offering from Spain and from importer Eric Solomon.” (The Wine Advocate)
For additional information click at enterwine.