A Coroa is a stunning winery set in the heart of Valdeorras, built on the foundations of an ancient Roman campsite. Here the team creates complex, elegant and intense wines from one of Spain’s finest grape varieties, Godello. Packed full of mature fruit flavours, the wines of A Coroa are big and very fresh. Angel Lopez and his family founded this winery in 2002 after spending years in the nursery business in Valdeorras. Native to the region, they supplied a majority of the wineries with their vines and have been on the forefront of Valdeorras’ reborn interest in the Godello varietal. Godello was one of the original varietals grown in the region by the Romans over two thousand years ago, since then the grape has slowly drifted toward obscurity until newer winemakers in the area decided to resurrect this unique varietal that is native to Valdeorras.
- Winery: Adega A Coroa, A Coroa, s/n – 32350 A Rúa (Ourense) España
- Phone: + 34 988 310 648
- Winemaker: Ángel Sanchez Cuesta
- Website: htpp://acoroa.co/winery/
- Brand: A Coroa Godello
- DO: Valdeorras
- Type: Young white wine. Production: 75.000 bottles
- Vintage: 2014
- Alcohol: 13.5%
- Grape Variety: 100% Godello
- Vineyards: A total of 12 hectares comprised of several different vineyard sites all located in the area around the winery at A Rua. The parcels have varying exposures and elevations but share slate soils and the Godello grape as a unifying element. As the most in-land part of Galicia, Valdeorras enjoys warmer days than most of the region but still benefits from the cool air travelling along the river Sil. Crucially, A Coroa?s vineyard plots are up on the hillsides (mostly around 500m elevation) rather than near the valley floor where it can get very hot in the summer, with temperatures at times exceeding 40 degrees Celsius. In a recent acquisition, the estate purchased a two-hectare plot of old vines on granite. This site is known as Valdeaugas and is the source of the 200 Cestos wine. All the vineyards are hand harvested. Viticulture is sustainable with the least amount of herbicides and pesticides used, and the winery is transitioning to being fully organic. All the parcels are fermented using indigenous yeast and at low temperatures to extract maximum aromas and flavours. The wines are then aged on the lees for 6 months and a blend is made from the best lots to create A Coroa.
- Soil Type: Slate soils
- Bottle Size: 75.0 cl.
- Price: It can be found below € 10.00.
- My wine rating: 92/100 (A wine of outstanding or superior quality) NEW!
This is a complex, elegant and intense wine. The bouquet is marked by the ripe fruit flavours of apples, pears and melon. Pleasant floral notes and gorse flower can be also found, the characteristic of great Godellos. This wine is very fresh and well-balanced, with a typical light varietal bitterness which gives it breadth in the mouth.