- Winery: Bodegas de los Herederos del Marqués de Riscal S.L. Crtra. Nacional VI, Km. 172,600. 47490 – Rueda (Valladolid) Marqués de Riscal is one of the oldest wineries in La Rioja. Founded in Elciego (Álava) in 1858 by Guillermo Hurtado de Amézaga, it has always been characterised by its benchmark status, both nationally and internationally, in the wine sector. At the start of the 1970s, Vinos de los Herederos del Marqués de Riscal decided to expand its product range with a white wine. Following two years of tests, the Rueda region was selected for its production. Loyal to its pioneering spirit, Marqués de Riscal created a new young, fresh and fruity white wine in a region famous for its strong, fortified wines. Other wineries took their lead, resulting in the creation of the D.O. Rueda in 1983. Vinos de los Herederos del Marqués de Riscal has the best owned vineyards in the Rueda Designation of Origin (205 hectares), and is, additionally, one of the main wine producers in the area, as well as being one of the main producers throughout Castilla y León.
- Phone: + 34 983 868 029
- Winemaker: Luís Hurtado de Amézaga Hamparzoumian
- Website: www.marquesderiscal.com
- Brand: Marqués de Riscal Rueda Verdejo
- DO: Rueda
- Type: Young White Wine. The verdejo grape is stemmed and cooled and left to macerate in order to extract the maximum aroma from the skins and increase the smooth oiliness of the wine. The must, once fined and clear undergoes slow fermentation at a controlled temperature of between 13ºC and 15ºC for 20 days, in order to preserve the varieties characteristic fruitiness. After a time of maturation the wine will be bottled between January and March in the year following the harvest.
- Vintage: 2014
- Alcohol: 13% vol.
- Grape Variety: 100% Verdejo (According to the rules and regulations of Rueda D.O. if the Label says Verdejo, the wine has to be at least 85% Verdejo —although many are truly 100% of the native grape. The balance can be Viura and/or Sauvignon Blanc)
- Vineyards: Vinos de los Herederos del Marqués de Riscal has the biggest stock of estate-owned vines in the Denominación de Origen Rueda (205 Ha of own Verdejo and Sauvignon Blanc vines, plus 250 Ha of controlled external vines in the villages of La Seca, Rueda, Serrada and Rodilana).
- Soil Type: The D.O. Rueda is located in the central area of the depression formed by the river Duero, on a smooth plateau blown by Atlantic winds. The area has alluvial and flood terraces on the banks of the river Duero and its tributaries, the rivers Trabancos, Zapardiel and Adaja. Dark grey-brown soils, rich in calcium and magnesium, stony but easy to farm, with good ventilation and draining, and limestone outcrops on the hilltops. Permeable and healthy, their texture varies from sandy-loamy to loamy.
- Bottle Size: 75.0 cl.
- Price: € 7,10 at Licores Lafuente Madrid.
- My wine rating: 88/100 (A wine of good quality) NEW!
By the way, the 2015 will soon be available, if it is not already, and would be better to buy this vintage. Note that young whites don’t improve with time, to the contrary they tend to get worse faster.