- Winery: Ramón Bilbao Vinos y Viñedos. Avda. Santo Domingo 34, 26220, Haro. La Rioja (España – Spain). The winery was founded in 1924; however, around 1896 Don Ramón Bilbao Muga had already sold their wines to a winery that was located on a street in Las Cuevas, Haro. In 1972, a few years after the death of the last descents of the Bilbao family, the winery was placed in the hands of the Lecanda family, founders of the legendary Vega Sicilia winery in Ribera del Duero, where they built new facilities, and thereby expanded their brand and focused on the production of crianza wines. In 1999 when the company Diego Zamora S.A., one of the most important groups of drinks in Spain, acquired Bodegas Ramón Bilbao, they began a process of modernisation and upgrading the facilities, which marked a new step and a big boost to the brand, achieving great recognition from the customers.
- Phone: +34 941 310 295
- Technical Director: Rodolfo Bastida
- Website: http://www.bodegasramonbilbao.es/en/
- Brand: Ramón Bilbao Viñedos de Altura
- DO: DOCa Rioja
- Type: Red Crianza.
- Vintage: 2013
- Alcohol: 14.00%
- Grape Variety: Original blend made with 50% Tempranillo and 50% Garnacha sourced from vineyards located 80km apart: Villalba in Rioja Alta and Tudelilla, in Rioja Baja lying at an altitude of 700 and 650 metres respectively.
- Vineyards: The two grape varieties used are vinified separately. Despite the distance between the two towns where the vineyards lie, their similar altitude makes their harvest time coincide. Only the best clusters pass the sorting process on the selection table, which means that only the choicest fruit reaches the fermentation tanks.Malolactic fermentation in new French oak barrels in which aging on the lees will follow. The aging of the 2013 vintage, in 240 barrels, lasted 15 months and resulted in 64,580 0,75-cl bottles.
- Soil Type: Calcareous-clay soils in Villalba (Rioja Alta) and ferrous (or ferruginous) clay soils in Tudelilla (Rioja Baja)
- Bottle Size: 75.0 cl.
- Price: Available at 13.55 €, at the winery website, but can be found at more competitive prices at some specialised online shops.
- My wine rating: 95/100 (A wine of distinction) NEW!
A superb wine, at a very competitive price and extremely original.